Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning more commonly known as HVAC is a critical part of any building. This system among other things ensures the temperature in a building is optimized for human habitation. During the hot summer days, it keeps the space cool and on the cold days, it keeps it warm. It also ensures that there is proper ventilation throughout the building.
This is clearly a very important system that has to be kept up and running at all times. In this article, we will be looking at keeping this unit functioning optimally by ensuring it is properly maintained and serviced. We will start by sharing a few servicing tips.
Important Servicing Tips
Properly maintaining your setup has a lot of benefits. First, it lowers your energy bill. If for example, the heating is not working optimally, the system will be working harder to get the job done and by so doing, it will be consuming more energy. The same is applicable if its cooling power has been reduced.
Aside from the above, the comfort of the occupants of the building where the system is installed is also assured at all times. Very importantly, with the setup running smoothly, you will not run afoul of the government’s Environmental Protection Agency’s IAQ (Indoor Air Quality) regulations as stipulated here.
Frequent and diligent maintenance of the system will save you costs. This is because you will avoid any unnecessary HVAC repair bills that will arise from breakdowns that could have been avoided.
One thing that you need to do as often as possible is to inspect the vents. You want to watch out for the possibility of mould or other pollutants spreading through these vents.
Be conscious of any funny smell that can be an indication of something out of place in the vents. This should be a task that everyone in the building should be involved in. If you manage any such building, make sure you immediately act on any complaints you get.
Here are a few important servicing tips you should note.
- Never allow the filters to stay for more than 6 months. In fact, you may need to replace them sooner if you find that they’ve become really clogged.
- The evaporator and condenser coils should be cleaned about twice a year. The evaporator coils are a favourite spot for mould. These should be prevented from growing and spreading by getting rid of them early. The cleaning will also take care of any dirt that might have accumulated on any of these.
- Fans, bearings and belts should also be checked out about twice a year. These play a vital role in the smooth working of the system. If they cease to function, the system will not function as it should.
- The air intake area is another place that should be checked about twice a year. This is because the moist nature of this location encourages the growth of mould. In this position, the spores can easily spread through the vent to the entire building.
- Check for leaks and have them fixed as soon as they are spotted.
- At least once a year, the dampers should be cleaned and adjusted. This will promote air quality and also reduce utility costs.
- For air ducts, it is recommended that these be checked out every two years and cleaned if they are found to be dirty.
You can get fuller details in this article.
How to Choose the Right Repair Company
It should be pretty obvious that most HVAC systems will require professionals like hvac repair glen allen to properly maintain and repair them. If you don’t want to hire a professional and would prefer to give it a go yourself, there are websites that can offer you advice such as Appliance Analysts.
However, if it’s something you’ve discovered is way out of your depth, you might be better off calling in some extra help. Below, we will quickly look at a few ways through which you can find the right company to handle the maintenance, servicing or repairs of your HVAC setup.
Ask for Recommendations
The first thing you should likely do is ask for recommendations from people around you. It is very possible that they may know a few companies like surnerheat.com that they can recommend to you. This is a well-tested method of finding reputable companies.
Carry out a “Near Me” Search
Another method which you can try especially if you do not get any recommendations is to search online. Since this is a physical service and not something that can be done remotely, you need to carry out what is called a “near me” or local search.
If for example, you are in Texas, you should search for “HVAC repairers in Texas” or the exact city in which you are. This will ensure you only get professional sites of companies that operate in the area.
Check for Reviews
The next thing to do is to look for reviews of the companies you have shortlisted. These reviews tell you what their past clients think of their services. From there, you can have a better idea of what they are about.
Finally, you should compare quotes from between four to five companies. Remember to note what is on offer so you can be sure you are choosing the company that is offering the best value.