18 Timeless Tips to Rejuvenate a Long-term Relationship
Whether it’s marriage, living in or a long-distance relationship, being together for a long time can make things monotonous and cause long-term partners to feel like something is amiss in a relationship that once brought them tremendous joy and fulfilment.
After spending years together, people can get to a point where they no longer feel drawn to their spouse or partner. This is the time when both individuals need to make a conscious effort to infuse life back into the relationship. This doesn’t come easily to everyone, which is why we have compiled a list of 18 timeless tips to help you reignite the spark that you once shared with your significant other.
- Show your partner that they are important to you and that you value their presence in your life. Nothing boosts a love relationship than small gestures that tell the other person they’re needed and cherished.
- Revive and refresh your intimate space – introduce fresh colours, remove clutter and turn it into a warm and welcoming space where you can unwind after a rough day. Even replacing old curtains with a romantic sheer fabric can change the vibe of your bedroom.
- Get away from each other for at a week. Take a solo trip or go out of town with friends. This will give you a much-needed break from the constant company and help you reassess your feelings about the other person.
- Start taking care of yourself. Make your health and happiness a priority and you will find new strength to deal with the challenges of a long-term relationship.
- Learn something new together. Revive an old interest both of you shared when you first met or take classes to learn something entirely new. Learn to make cocktails, for instance, or volunteer for a common cause.
- Write down your problems together. Putting your relationship struggles on paper will help you weed out the non-issues and focus on solving real problems that truly deserve your time and attention.
- Make a rule about not bringing up past hurts no matter what. Learn to let go of old issues and resentment—it’s the only way you can truly make your relationship thrive.
- Take the artificial out of your relationship. Don’t post happy pictures on social media unless you truly feel that way. Work together to reach a place of true happiness that comes from maturity and understanding.
- Spend more time with your loved ones. The presence of family members can help you both look at the larger picture and view your relationship as an important cog in the wheel that keeps your loved ones happy.
- Make your partner your top priority. For once, put aside everything—work, chores, children, responsibilities, financial worries and everything else that saps your energy—and focus on making each other happy.
- Plan a romantic vacation to revive the romance in your life. If you have children, make arrangements for them to stay with a relative while you and your spouse get away to revive love and intimacy in your relationship.
- Initiate difficult conversations. Encourage each other to open up about what’s going great for the relationship and what you’d like to improve.
- Start afresh on a new note, beginning a platonic relationship where both partners try and get to know and understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses without judgment.
- Make things possible for each other. For instance, if your partner loves to meet their friends but isn’t able to do so often, offer to help them get away while you babysit or take over the chores.
- If you’re in a long-distance relationship, make it a priority to meet as frequently as possible. You can do it if you set your heart on it.
- Give yourself a makeover. A new haircut, experiments with the way you dress, looking fresh and well turned out—all of these impact not only your own self-confidence but also the way your partner looks at you. Ditch the baggy clothes and give yourself some much needed TLC—your partner is sure to take note of the new you.
- Talk about your sexual equation; make genuine efforts to rekindle intimacy by infusing a sense of excitement and surprise into your personal time together.
- Adopt a healthy and active lifestyle. Not many people realize how their food impacts their mood, feelings and emotions. A sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle may be squeezing joy and contentment out of your life and impacting your relationships.