“When young children start to get on the move and can climb, you certainly have to have eyes in the back of your head and it’s important to take a look at every aspect of your home to be sure they will be safe. When it comes to blinds for your windows, there are a number of options you can consider.
“Swish has created its ‘Safety in Mind’ programme to ensure that all of its window dressings meet the stringent BS EN regulations to reduce the risk of strangulation from loose hanging cord loops, whilst still allowing you to use your curtain pole, track or blind as normal.
There are various options available that will help make your blinds safer for complete peace of mind, without compromising on style:
- Go cordless – Swish’s Cordless Aluminium blind (pictured) is ideal
- Using a cleat to secure loose cords will keep them out of children’s reach. Always ensure that the cleat is fitted as close to the headrail as possible, but in all cases at least 1.5m from the floor.
- For loop cords, fitting a p-clip to fix the loop to the wall will reduce the risk of your child being able to access the loop.
- Fitting a cord break onto a Roller Blind bobble cord is a quick and inexpensive way to make the blind cord safer.
- Also, look out for tension pulleys which hold cords or chains constantly taut and, on venetian style blinds, set the cord stops as close to the headrail as possible when the blind is fully lowered to prevent the inner cords being pulled into a loop.
“When looking for a new blind, make sure you choose one with the WARNING label on the packaging as it means the product comes with the correct safety devices. For peace of mind, all of Sunflex’s blinds come with the appropriate stops, cleats and pulleys so you can be sure to have the right fitting to hand when you are putting the blind up.
“However, for those who would prefer not to have any cords at all, Swish’s Cordless Aluminium Venetian Blinds range (pictured) has a patented, integrated safety system that takes away the need for cords to lift, lower or tilt the blind. Using its revolutionary SwishRise cordless system, all of the stylish 25mm Aluminium blinds can be raised, lowered and, unlike others currently available, tilted with just one touch of the bottom bar. The SwishRise cordless models feature an integrated safety system to prevent the risk of potential harm by ensuring integral cords cannot be pulled to create a loop too.
“Available in a range of seven sophisticated shades including Polar White, Cocoa Butter and Champagne to suit a more neutral palette, to the bolder Berry Berry option that will add a splash of eye-catching colour to your windows, this range will add flair to your kitchen, lounge or bathroom.
“Polished Aluminium, Piano Black and Brushed Bronze finishes complete the range and give a nod to the latest metallic looks.
“With options to suit most window sizes, all colours can be selected in a host of widths from 60cm to 180cm and in two drops, 120cm and 180cm. The range is also easy to fit with a colour coordinated head rail that blends the blind seamlessly into your window setting. Once this head rail is fitted, the brackets simply clip the blind securely into place.”
Prices start from £18.36 for a 60cm width / 120cm drop to £83.16 for a 180cm width / 180cm drop.
For further information on Swish’s products or its Safety In Mind programme, visit www.swish.co.uk or call 01543 271421.